Lots of funny movies for this month that flew right by. The movie theaters are open, and honestly very excited to get back into a habit of seeing films in a completely different environment. Summer is here and usually I would start lining up the horror flicks. Surprisingly, even for myself, I haven’t necessarily been in the mood for anything even remotely creepy.
- Chaotic, joyous and not at all what I expected. Glad that we watched this. Definitely a rare comedy.
(1997) Romy and Michelle
- Fell asleep halfway through. What I saw was amazing, can’t believe I never saw this one before. Thanks, Elizabeth! Will make sure to watch this all the way through again soon.
(1937) Easy Living
- Straightforward, light hearted old-Hollywood comedy. Great dialogue. I haven’t seen that many Preston Sturges written things myself, but this definitely made me want to see more.
- A stressful, cute film. We’ve been watching a lot of Danny Devito’s films. Didn’t realize that this film lost so much money, but makes complete sense. Definitely a version of my own nightmare to some extent.
(2015) Fort Tilden
- Cutting and just great. As someone who went to school in New York around the 2000s, this film really captured a terrifying group of people that were always in my periphery. Really strong performances too, and made Search Party make more sense.
- Was very disappointed by Mortal Kombat, so with Malcolm’s encouragement, decided to catch up on a Johnie To film. This definitely sets the theme for May for films that go a little bit over the top. The premise is a little kooky, but the plot and the way the film played out made sense in the unique logic that it had set up for itself.
(1989) War of Roses
- I forget that Danny Devito’s a hilarious director. This film was a terrifying and feverish take on wealth, isolation and the trappings of class aspirations. Fun, scary and bonkers.